Thursday, June 19, 2008

Outreach Clinic

Today, we went to a TASO outreach clinic, which is when TASO holds a clinic in an area far away from the center for the clients that live there that can't make it to the center for regular appointments. It happens once a month in each of two locations. Counselors, doctors, pharmacists, and other TASO staff members piled into a bus and we drove up some crazy hills, and then we set up in an old hospital. I worked in the dispensary, counting out different amounts of antiretrovirals, aspirins, and malaria medicine, which were given out to the clients. Lunch was prepared for us by a client there, I tried groundnut sauce on my matoke, it was great! I thought it tasted kind of like peanut butter, but Nadia was not as impressed. I think it's really cool how TASO was able to function even from such a remote location, especially without any computers, which would be unheard of in the US! The outreach clinic lasted for almost the entire day, so now we're back at the hotel. My other work project, which is basically doing an audit of the sustainable livelihood program, is going well. I've finished going through the transcripts of all of the previous interviews that have been conducted on the topic, and I've just started doing my own interviews, and I'm looking forward to talking to more clients, I like hearing people's stories. My first was yesterday, with a client that works in the aromatherapy department at TASO.
We're off to Kampala this weekend, I will post pictures when the internet connection is going a little faster.
I hope that you are all having a great summer!