Tuesday, June 3, 2008

OK, I can't get the pictures to come through because the internet is too slow, I will try to upload them separately later.


So, this weekend in Kampala was kind of a bust, but I did get this cool picture of a bug I found in the bathroom

One interesting thing is how much coverage the democratic primaries are getting in the news here (as well as the Celtics and Lakers). People keep on asking me whether I like Obama or Clinton. When I asked Priscilla from TASO what she thought, she said that most Ugandans prefer Obama because his father is Kenyan, so they feel that he is like them, although if not for that, they would prefer Clinton because they all really liked Bill Clinton. I asked what the feelings were on Bush, and she said that she didn’t like him because he was a war mongrel (sp?). I thought this was interesting that they followed American politics so closely.

Yesterday, we went to TASO headquarters in Kampala, ate a real Ugandan lunch, and then went out to Jinja in a truck. After checking in at TASO Jinja, we went back to our hotel. This is the view from our hotel room of the Nile, although we’ve since had to switch rooms because there were too many mosquitoes.

That’s actually a juvenile detention center across the lake.

Today is Martyr’s Day, a national holiday celebrating Ugandan Catholics and Protestants who were killed in the 1800’s. Since we didn’t have work, Sebastian and his wife took us to see a beautiful waterfall. The only bad thing was that I was wearing a skirt and flipflops, which made hiking the small mountain that Sebastian led us up difficult.

Tomorrow we start actually working at TASO!!